Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sonics ~ HUM... 16 wins

When we got the second pick in the NBA at the lottery, behind Portland, and had Kevin Durant, who we did get, and the skinny, but great, Greg Oden from Ohio State from whom we'd probably get to choose, I thought WOW, looks good for 2008.

But, gloom and doom, here we sit next to the bottom of THE WHOLE NBA, behind the Heat (who only have 12 wins). Now, that's an even stranger scenario, with media darling Dwanye Wade, who until just recently was playing. With the season lost, he's taken off early to deal with an injury and try to get ready for the USA team this summer. He isn't even sure he'll be able to do that, but is HOPING to playing for the good 'ol USA.

I guess losing BIG 'ol Shaq to Phoenix left them not only centerless, but winless, to boot.

With the prospect of losing our Sonics to Oklahoma City, this horrible season isn't helping matters much in the way of rallying support in Olympia for help in garnering financial support from the legislature for a new arena, or an upgrade to the Key Arena. And, being the OKC has already passed a referendum agreeing to pay for their Ford Center to be upgraded to bring the Sonics there, it's NOT LOOKING GOOD FOLKS!!!

I remember taking my son, the one I lost nearly four years ago, when he was six months old to the Sonics' Championship Parade in a stroller in 1979, getting Dennis Johnson's autograph for my oldest son. Fred Brown, Jack Sikma, John Johnson, Vinnie Johnson, Dennis (freckles) Johnson, Gus Williams, Wally Walker, Lonnie Shelton, Paul Silas - hum, that's all I remember. I remember Gus throwing that ball up in the air at the end of that final game and running down the street to call my mom and son. WOW! What memories!!!

Then when we made it to the finals back in the 90's. We drove up to Boeing field a few times in the middle of the night to meet the Sonics team plane and great OUR GUYS home. Once at 3 am when we completed the sweep of Houston, in the pouring rain no less. I took filled my car with four teen boys. My two sons and two others from my youth program. Most everyone there had brooms, it was great! We also went up when they lost the first two games in the finals to Chicago. That too was around 3 am by the time the plane landed.

They came home and won one, but GEEZ Louise, they were playing against the GREAT ONE, Michael Jordan. We lost in 5.

I'll miss the Sonics, if they move to OKC, as it looks like the may. They gave me MANY a good memory!