Sunday, May 4, 2008

Kentucky Derby 2008 - Thrill of Victory to Tragedy

Watching the Kentucky Derby is a personal tradition, and was one of the things Ernie and I did together.

One of my memories of Ernie that I like to tell, because it really shows how in tuned we really were, was when the Belmont, the final race in horse-racing's Triple Crown, was about to begin and Smarty Jones was looking at possibly winning the Triple Crown, having already won the 2004 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes.

Ernie wasn't home, so I called his cell and all I said was, "Are you near a TV?" and all he said was, "It's already on," and he hung up. I didn't even need to tell him what I was talking about. We were always just on the same page....

Yesterday, was the running of the 2008 Kentucky Derby. I actually missed watching it live. I "had" to spend $30 in coupons (they expired yesterday) so I was out shopping with my little 6-year old "partner." We picked up baby clothes for one of E's best friends; she's having a BOY - YEAH!!! (Oh yes, and plants for the garden. It's looking pretty good....)

Anyway.... We watched the Derby repeatedly on the laptop/Internet when we got home. (My attempt to pass on this Derby tradition to another generation. It was COOL, she was really into it. I think she liked BIG Brown’s name.) "There he is, come on Big Brown!!!" over-and-over every time we'd watch it. SO.... cute! (At that point I didn't know about the SAD SAD part of the story.)

Since I'm a photographer I appreciate good sports photography when I see it. Here are BIG BROWN the "Winner" and the 2nd "Place" horse, EIGHT BELLES, the first filly since 1999 to run in the Derby.


A HORRIBLE TRAGEDY at the Derby yesterday.


The race went from the Thrill of Victory to Tragedy immediately following the race.

Eight Belles broke both front ankles and had to be put down after the race. She appeared fine until collapsing while galloping out after the finish.

AND ~ SO....... SAD!!!!!

My condolences to the owners, trainers and handlers of

EIGHT BELLES.

Prayers and Peace.....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting