Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Last Year's Big Winner ~ The Departed

I just watched The Departed again. Dang! What a GREAT movie. Jack Nicholson is so..... creepy and Leonardo DiCaprio is SO..... gorgeous. The ending, the VERY end, is perfect. You know, that you-know-what creeping across the balcony. Perfect! Martin Scorsese's first big win at the Oscars, and it really was great.

Sort of reminds me of this year's Ridley Scott 1970's tale American Gangster. With Denzel Washington playing Frank Lucas, a heroin kingpin from Manhattan, who is smuggling drugs into the country from the Far East. Russell Crowe plays the prosecutor who makes it his life's work to bring him down. Ruby Dee, plays Frank's mother, and she's nominated for an Oscar this Sunday, for her supporting role. Much to her surprise, she won at the Golden Globes.

All-in-all it's a great movie. My son and I went to see it at the theatre, and I remember walking out saying, "That's the best movie I've seen in a long time."