Monday, February 11, 2008

Whoa! Have I got a Migraine Aura goin' AND My Little Homey

Do you get migraines? I hope not, they are the pits. The "aura" is a sort-of light show. My best description is this: Your field of vision is a picture. Someone tore the picture jaggedy all the way, usually up and down (but not a straight line) and they're trying to put it back together, but their hands are shaking. AND, there's this bright light shining through from the back.

There you go. My auras. That lasts about a half hour, and then the headache comes. Always on one side of my forehead, or the other. I can tell this is going to be a doozy.

The last time I had one this bad was New Year's Eve. I took two Torodol's made it to my best friend's NYE party, then ended up with a migraine BAD for about a month. I've only just the past week or so, started getting out a bit.

Back to my best friend. Her son (17) had spent the Dec 30 weekend so I HAD to take him home for the party, thus the TWO pills. Yeah, my little homey [he's 6'5" now and about 300 lbs, but I used to change his diapers. Ernie was going to be his manager in the NFL; he stays with Nels and me quite often. He's getting STRAIGHT A's and he talking about going into the Job Corps.

It was losing Ernie that probably led to him not doing so well his first couple of years of high school, and NOT playing football, etc. Ernie was his mentor. He had just spent a week with us a week before THE CRASH. Ernie took us (D, me & Ernie) to see Michael Moore's Farenheight 911 on June 30. I still have the tickets. I remember telling everybody, "Do not touch that recycle can until I find those tickets."

We're sortta best-friends now. We talk on the phone sometimes for two hours at a time. I've tried to step in as a mentor. Talk to him like Ernie would, "Listen to your conscience. When you get on that fence, lean to the right. I know it's hard out there with your friends, but you KNOW right from wrong."

Everyday you have choices, and from now on, every decision you make you should think, "Can I put this on my resume?" If the answer is,"NO," then you had better not do it.

That's been my spiel for YUP! kids for 10 years now.

My son and I just a month ago brought some insight into one specific incident that came up.

There's no beating up this guy, or that guy, for calling your mama a name anymore. This is your life. If someone, say you, entered a person's house, took the kid in the bedroom and socked him in the face, and that kid told the police that he felt as if he couldn't leave that room, you could/would probably get charged with burglary, possibly home-invasion, possibly kidnapping, definately assault (1st or 2nd degree) depending on whether they saw or thought they saw a weapon. And they'd probably come up with other charges like conspiracy if you had other people with you. AND, since you are now 17, they'll definitely charge you as an adult! That means PRISON!!!! For a long, long time. You are grown up now, this isn't sandlot fistfights anymore. 'Don't talk about my mama like that!'