Monday, April 28, 2008

I Hate to go here, but this is so.... important.

Rev Wright came out this weekend, and spoke to the NAACP, last night I believe, and did a press type of conference, that I watched live this morning, I'll share my personal views of him in a sec. First, here are a few of the iReports from CNN:

iReporter Seanjo: "I respect Rev. Wright as a man and a pastor. I also respect his right to defend himself. But to suggest that the fallout from remarks that he has made in the past is not an attack on him personally, but an attack on black churches in general, is inflammatory and unproductive.
"When someone makes divisive and controversial comments, he/she can and should expect a backlash of criticism. That's not an attack, it's a defense. You can't expect to offend me without invoking defensiveness from me."

iReporterTony: "The stuff this guy says doesn't belong in a church -- period. It's classless, demonstrates a pure racial agenda, and undermines much of what Christianity is based around."

Suze: "This is a first for me. I just changed the channel as I find Rev. Wright to be highly offensive. Any thoughts I had of voting for Senator Obama are over."

Yony: "I find it shocking and disconcerting that people are willing to dismiss Rev. Wright's controversial speech as a "sound byte". Listening to to the entire speech reveals no further truth or justification. I'm not sure how one reads the part about the U.S. injection of African Americans with the AIDS virus as 'out of context.' Regarding Obama, it may very well be that Rev. Wright does not speak for him, but let us not forget that Obama attended this church for 20 years (proudly, according to him). I would expect a half decent man to have left such a place, where values are formed and solidified, long ago."

iReporter smokieyob: "Where does the healing start?"
Chipster: "Rev. Wright isn't doing Obama any favors. He preaches anger and hatred of decades-old injustices, yet no appreciation for the progress that has been made. Certainly, we can do better, but it doesn't help to incite so much anger in generations of black youth who never experienced slavery or the harsh discrimination of Wright's youth. Today, they have opportunities that Wright could not have imagined then.
"His ridicule of Jack Kennedy is particularly offensive because Jack and Bobbie sacrificed everything in their fight for justice for all minorities. They had wealth, education, and privilege. They didn't have to risk their lives, but they did. For Wright to ridicule their accents and compare it to broken English does a disservice to their sacrifice and to black youth who are capable of more than he gives them credit."
Ed: "Very educational, informative, and impressive overall. It's important for America to hear that different doesn't mean deficient; just different. I believe if more White Americans were accepting of this truth, Mr. Obama would have wrapped up the Democratic nomination long ago. This is, however, not to say that Rev. Wright was alluding to Mr. Obama when he made this statement."
iReporter krystal68: "Stop living in yesterday. My children have been raised to love and be loved. If people like Rev. Wright continue to live in a hateful past, we as a people will never be able to enjoy our present and our future."