Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mom's Life Rules

Just like I taught my boys some other life rules (other than don't talk about abortion, politics or religion at work) I follow and tell some of the young people I come in contact with:

**** Keep your financial business personal. Don't go spouting your mouth about what you got going on. It's NOBODY'S business. Your best friend today could be your worst enemy next week. (AND, depending on your crowd, you could save yourself from getting robbed.)

****ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check your blind spot when you change lanes ALWAYS!!! MAKE IT A PERSONAL RULE. I'd of been dead and probably killed a lot of other people if I didn't have this personal rule. On many an occasion I'd be just about ready to change lanes, thinking, "I know there's nobody there," and I'm just about ready to move that steering wheel, and I remember my rule and spin my head to look and SURE AS SHOOTING there's a car RIGHT THERE. Sometimes ON THE FREEWAY, we'd of all been dead for sure.

AND, an added driving rule: DO NOT TAILGATE. Another thing that would have caused me to get into many an accident.

And the second to the last of the driving rules: Keep your speeding to a minimum. For real. And weather can change things so much. A first rain, after a dry spell, that's when it can be REAL slippery, and then you those days when you have the good ol' sun in the eyes. Blindness. Sandstorms, this that and the other. Mother nature and driving can really cause havoc. Not to mention the guy next to you. Be a DEFENSIVE DRIVER FOR SURE!

There's the regular rules we all have like brushing your teeth before you go to bed or turning off all the lights before you leave, BUT the first TWO up there are BIGGIES with me.

You also have the REAL BIGGIES like HONESTY and being DEPENDABLE .

****AND the BIGGEST RULE OF ALL
~~~ NO DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED!!!

I lost my 25 year old son in 2004 (and this boy & I were extremely close, I mean we were like BEST FRIENDS) to an impaired driver showing off his new car. Apparently his claim to fame was doing just what he did. Only this time he didn't make it. "OH D**** B*tt**t**, his thing is going around corners sideways." The car was going about 80 mph around a suggested 25 mph hard left curve. He screached around the curve, lost control went sideways and slid directly into a BIG WHITE OAK tree.

Since they were going SO fast, the car continued to spin around the tree until they were heading up the road with the tree three-feet in the car. It looked as if he was driving up the road and a 100 mph wind came up and blew the car straight off the road and into the tree, like it T-boned the tree. Kinda like Superman threw the car at the tree. It just looked so weird how the car got like that.

Only thing was the tree was right where my son had been sitting. He was pushed to the back, and pinned in the car for almost 4 hours.

THANK THE LORD, he passed instantly, so he did not suffer. It was sad that he was pinned for so long. It never dawned on me at the time, you know, my son was "dead" - my best friend, but we were not able to donate any of his organs. That really bothers me now.

Dang, I sure went off on a tangent. Sometimes I need to get that out. I am a greiving mom. He was SO.......... beautiful and such a good son. Always sticking up for "MOMS." :)(